Monday, July 2, 2012

Update: Home on Courtney Drive

When I entered back into reality (and phone reception) I found out a few things:
First, Hwy 24 was open.  This is a major road from Colorado Springs toward the high country, west.  This highway had been closed for over a week as the Waldo Canyon Fire was just to the north of it. Although the fire is still burning, this is a VERY good sign of success.
Secondly, I learned that the containment of the fire had increased to 55%. This is also a HUGE victory for our firefighters.  They are working so hard around the clock to keep the fire at bay.  It has not grown in the last 48 hours - the only acreage added to the affected area is from areas already within the burn zone.  This is such good news to return to.
Finally, I received word that for a brief time on Sunday, residents of the Mountain Shadows area there were still under mandatory evacuation were given permission to return for a short time (having to be out of the area by 6 pm on Sunday.)
So, on our way back into town, my friend Ted (Who was driving) agreed to accompany me back to the house to see the condition. As I said before, it was one of two homes left standing on our street, but the condition of the home was entirely unknown. I expected a good amount of smoke and water damage, ash, burns, etc.
What I found upon returning to the home (after a very secure checkpoint entry) was nothing short of miraculous!
The home on the outside showed no signs of visible damage.  Debris, embers, trees, and all sorts of things littered the yard, but the home was not only in tact but it looked pristine! I checked the outside first. Fence posts, landscaping, and trees were burnt to nothing. However, the home looked as if a bubble of protection had formed around it. It was clear that the firefighters that were on the scene did absolutely everything within their power to save the home. Trees and fencing were cut down that were near the house. Wicker patio furniture was chucked from near the home and lying in the yard.  It was completely unreal to see how close things had burned to the home (a matter in some spots of only a few feet away).
Aspen trees that were left standing were charred on one side and green on the other. The devastation was overwhelming. Behind, beside, and across from our home I saw my neighbors back to visit the charred remains of their homes and lives and the emotions were unbearable. I felt a twinge of guilt as I inspected the yard around my in-tact and still-standing home.
I gathered myself and went to inspect the inside.  Surely I would be overwhelmed by the smell of smoke and debris inside from the windows we had forgotten to close before leaving in a hurry.
I nearly collapsed in relief as I opened the front door.  It was the most beautiful house I've ever seen - because it was my home and it was exactly how I had left it.  Things were out where I had rummaged through to pack what seemed necessary.  The couches, TV, kitchen counters... just there as I had left them, as if the house was saying, "OK, time to come home and clean now... just another day..."
I walked from room to room in disbelief as every room was clean, in tact and just as we had left them.  No ash, no debris, and surprisingly enough, no smell of smoke. The only visible sign I was able to find that a fire had occurred anywhere near us was a bit of ash in the window sills of the windows we had left open by mistake.  I can only assume the firefighters working so hard around our home did everything they could to save it - including shutting the open windows.
I grabbed a few items I had thought about over the last week for both Sarah and I and locked up the house before leaving. It was a strange feeling to leave the neighborhood and driving by the dozens of homes burnt to the ground knowing that it was only a matter of time before I would be able to return to my home and my life.
I pray for those families that have lost their homes.  Although insurance the the goodwill of the community will surely find them in homes again, I know that for many it is a lifetime of memories lost. It will be a grieving process for each one of those people, and I can only pray that through this time they find comfort and solace in the peace of knowing they aren't alone, and they won't be through the entire process of rebuilding their lives.
Sarah and I have already decided that once things settle a bit, we are going to see where we can get involved in the effort of those who have lost their homes to help.  i'm not sure what that need looks like yet - but when we do, I'll be sure to let you know!
I've included some photos and videos below of my short visit to the Mountain Shadows neighborhood.

Love,

MJ


A home just a few doors up from ours...

This neighbor was just to the east of our home. They were the first ones to welcome me to the neighborhood and offer to let them know if there was ever anything I needed. 

My fish Laredo, who I was sure went up in flames as I thought the rest of the house had.  In the chaos of leaving, I'm ashamed to admit I forgot to grab him. The little guy made it! he was very hungry, so I was sure to feed him while I was there - but he made it!

 This is the house across the street from us. The only thing left visible is the house number.  This neighbor was watering his flowers when I was working to pack up the car during the "pre-evacuation" status. He wasn't aware it had been issued at the time. I told him about and said, "It's just a pre-evac notice, but you might want to get a few things packed up." Crazy now to see his house in ashes...

This is the view looking down our street to the eastern end of Courtney Drive - I took this just a few doors up.  Our home is on the left with the red truck (Ted's) parked in front. 

Another neighbor's devastated home. 

Neighbors returning to their property during the brief allowance back into the mandatory evacuation zone.

Backyard. Fence and landscaping gone and charred.

More of the backyard.

Visible evidence in our yard of how close the fire came - this is a planter only a few feet from the home...

As we found it - patio furniture thrown from the vicinity of the home along with downed trees and fencing.

View of the range from the backyard.  All of the Ranch is charred and gone. 

The west side of the house. The pine tree was removed.  Notice the charred fence post and the proximity to the house. Amazing that anything was burning that close and the home remained spotless. 

More downed fencing and trees behind the house.

A view of the homes behind us... gone. 

As I left it... 


No comments:

Post a Comment